WARNING: The use of archives can improve your health.

Extend the boundaries. Explore original documents. Experience the past. Excite your inner-archivist.

Search This Blog

Thursday, November 14, 2013

A wealth of lesson plans save the day

Oh my! Upon looking back, it seems that I have not written about any of my classes since April or reported on my classroom activities since May.

No, I have been in hibernation—quite the opposite. Since June, I have delivered ten lesson plans and spoken at two conferences. Now that mid-November is here, and I anticipate a bit of a lull, perhaps I can tell you about all of these experiences.
The best thing about my teaching this term is that I have greatly benefitted from the research that Amber and I did in 2012/2013. The lesson plans and methods to develop those plans were adaptable to this term, allowing me to switch up components as well as easily build new components. For example, I could return to a lesson plan for one class, modify it slightly according to our observations, and re-offer the lesson; it was essentially and “off the shelf” package. Indeed, that was one of the goals of our research. In other classes, I could take parts of two or more lesson plans and combine them to suit the course to build new objectives. Finally, I used our six methods (discussed here http://classroomarchivist.blogspot.ca/2013/04/i-just-have-to-tell-folks-about-this.html) to develop new lessons when I could not find a plan that was suitable. All in all, the term was less stressful because I had a wealth of lesson plans and methods to develop new lessons. Whew!

No comments:

Post a Comment