WARNING: The use of archives can improve your health.

Extend the boundaries. Explore original documents. Experience the past. Excite your inner-archivist.

Search This Blog

Monday, October 8, 2012

lit review: Past or Portal?

I am reviewing the 2012 publication, Past or Portal? Enhancing Undergraduate Learning through Special Collections and Archives, for Archivaria.  This title is so exciting that I want to say a few words about it here too.

The work consists of 47 short, case studies from 93 authors.  Each case study explores a method of introducing resources in the classroom--either through single sessions or an entire course.  I have discovered many ideas within the book and have started using them immediately in my newly developed sessions this term.

What have I decided to adopt?  Let me just mention speed dating and capturing "cool stuff".  Speed dating is a structured process by which selected items are set out for the students to examine one-on-one.  They answer a set of questions regarding the source and then discuss them as a group.  This has worked so well that I am planning to use it in many of my new sessions.  Capturing "cool stuff" is an attempt to create buy-in from the students.  I have created a brief sheet of questions on which students can tell us about any source that they find cool.  This is purely optional for the student.  Their sheets will be put on the Facebook site.  It's more about raising awareness than anything else, but I hope that students will be excited to share their comments.

1 comment:

  1. My review of this book was just published in Archivaria, Spring 2013, Number 75.

    ReplyDelete